Deadline: August 1st 2014
A murder has been committed and another about to be. A fortune has gone missing, a letter and map have mysteriously appeared and something is frightening the children at night. Nothing is quite clear and the only thing for certain is that a detective is needed. But the first detective got a glimpse of what the children are afraid of and left without so much as a word…
And so a different kind of detective is needed—one who understands or at least accepts that not all answers or threats will be human or even physical. What this situation calls for is the Occult Detective. Van Helsing, Carnacki and Thunstone are classic examples. Harry Dresden and Anita Blake are popular contemporary versions. And now we want to read about yours.
Give us your best, most fascinating and eccentric characters, or continue the adventures of a character in the public domain. It’s up to you.
Just make certain that they are investigating something, be it murder by monster, death by curse, blackmail, fraud, theft, extortion, kidnapping, child endangerment, alimony payments, or anything that makes up a compelling mystery… And make certain that the mystery is supernatural in nature, or at the very least appears to point in an otherworldly direction, even if it ends with a gang of thieves using hallucinogens, a mastiff covered in phosphorescent paint, or even teenagers pulling off a villain’s mask.
Occult Detective fiction reaches back to at least 1855, and now we want to continue the tradition in grand fashion with A Grimoire of Eldritch Inquests!
- Edited by: Josh Reynolds and Miles Boothe
- Submission Period: 2/1/14 through 8/1/14
- Reading Period: 8/2/14 through 9/7/14
- Acceptances will be announced 9/7/14
- Tentative Publication Date: December 2014
- Payment: $25.00 and 1 trade paperback and electronic copy of the book upon publication.
- Word Limits: 2000 to 8000 words. Please query if longer.
- Format: Submissions should be .doc (.docx is fine) or .rtf formats. The entire text will be reformatted, so no need to worry about margins, spacing, etc. Please use a standard font.
- Genres Accepted: Dark Fiction, Horror, Sci-Fi and Fantasy. No poetry accepted for this volume.
- Reprints Accepted: Yes. Please include a history of publication with your submission.
- Simultaneous Subs: (submitting to Emby and another press at the same time) can be avoided by requesting an early response.
- Multiple Subs: Each author may submit up to 2 stories. Only one story per author will be accepted.
- Exclusive Rights: The contract will stipulate 1 year exclusive worldwide print and electronic rights. However, the contract does also state that under certain circumstances, Emby Press will consider granting permission to the author to place the story with additional publications.